THE RELATIONSHIP WITH MY AMERICAN FAMILY.

Monday, March 07, 2016 Cristian 8 Comments

Today I wanted to tell you about my American family. The people who took care of me for eleven months in the other side of the world. They came to Europe before I went to America and so I had the opportunity to meet them even before I arrived at their house. They hugged me and welcomed me as their son that day. We had lunch together and enjoyed landscapes in Switzerland. They had been the most beautiful thing on exchange for me. Of course I had wonderful friends and I did really cool things, but if I were in a different house it would have been all different. They were so nice to me since the beginning that I didn't even want to stay in my room like ever, I was always around the house, trying to help or to chat with them. Even my first morning there; I woke up so early that I went with my american dad to wash his car.

Wherever we went if my american brother wanted something, his dad would buy it for me too, saying "you are like my son". I am writing this here because sometimes exchange students, if something doesn't work at their house, say that it is their family's fault. As international students, who decided to leave the comfort zone for almost a year, we need to understand that when something doesn't work, it can be our fault too. Try to connect with your family, to get to know them, to prove them that it was worth it to host you. I am not saying it is the student's fault, I am saying that before complaining you should think twice.



In my case, my family didn't choose me, they received my application and accepted it, but most of the families choose the student they want to host, and at that moment they decide to trust you and to get to know you. You should think about that, whenever you feel like behaving bad. Is it really worth it to lie to them? I don't think so. I've always told them stuff and they trusted me, I could hang out with friends and even sleep over.

So concluding, talk to them, spend time with them, get to know them. If you think your host family doesn't like you it is probably because you appear weird or not really nice. Do all these things and everything will be better, they will start to know the real you. Even I met people who seemed weird but eventually became really good friends of mine: "Don't judge a book by its cover".

- Cris

8 comments:

  1. Hey I was an exchange student too and reading this make me really touched. You seem to have a really good relationship with your parent. :) And oh, I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support! And yes, I do have a good relationship with my american family!

      Delete
  2. I loved it! I will always remember this! I liked your blog ❣

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm future exchange student in USA and i like you blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cristian, How can I get in touch with a family for a exchange? I have a 16 years old son, and I want to found a family to host him there in the States in exchange I will host an american boy here in Spain. ¿can you help me in the process? because I got in touch with some organisations and they are asking for 12.000 euros per year , and I can not aford that amount. Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! I start by saying that if the only options were those organisations, I wouldn't have gone on exchange either. Finding an american family who's willing to trust someone over the internet is very very hard. I'd suggest you to contact the closest Rotary Club/District because Rotary is a good organisation and way cheaper than the others. Price includes application, passport expenses, insurance, flight and such.

      Delete