ONCE ABROAD, ALWAYS ABROAD.

Tuesday, November 15, 2016 Cristian 12 Comments



Dear mom and dad, friends and family, it's not you. It's me. Once experienced the unknown I constantly feel like I need more. It's like a chain reaction, I get something and I already need more. It sounds bad, I am putting distance between myself and the people I love, but the truth is that no matter how far I travel, I will eventually come home to my beloved food and culture. So, I must follow certain paths until they are available, 'cause opportunities are temporary, you either catch them or not.

In ten years I will be able to tell people amazing stories, meanwhile a peer will talk about the same kind of coffee he drank every single morning for the past 10 years. I will be able to say that I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge in beautiful San Francisco, that I saw a broadway play in New York City, that I surfed in paradisiac Hawaii and hopefully much more.


I know I arrived in Denmark three months ago, but I am already planning my way out. It is not because I don't like Denmark, but because life is short and I want to accept as much opportunities as possible. Teenagers change their iPhones every year to stay up-to-date, I just need a plane ticket every now and then, I think that's more important.

Above the clouds I always wonder where and why people are flying. On my latest flight I met an Australian guy. He's 20 years old and he moved to Amsterdam at the age of 18, without any plan. Everything worked out and last summer he travelled throughout Spain and Portugal, sleeping in tents and beaches, falling asleep looking at the stars and waking up with a kiss from the sun. Some of the things he did were kind of insane, but overall his story was inspiring. He felt Australia wasn't for him and eventually moved to Europe to walk his own road.

There are many opportunities out there, open your eyes and have the courage to "grab" yours.

- Cris

12 comments:

  1. Omg. That is so nice. I feel it same. Right now, I'm an exchange student in US in Texas. I love it. I love all things about my exchange year... Now, I don't want to go home-to Czech Republic. But, when I think about future, I think just about go out again. After USA I want to go to Spain, then to Australia, then to Usa again... So many plans, I know :D.
    I think, traveling my way. Hah, traveling will be my job :D.
    You study university in Denmark? :) I was thinking aboout going to college/university to Denmanr, is it good? Hah, well, I will go to university after four (almost five) years so I still have a lot of time lol.
    When I talked about my exchange year and also about traveling with my host mom, she said "once, when you are somewhere for long time with no family, you will like it. of course you will miss your family, but when you will be back at your home country, you will find, that you want to go out again... it will change you... and probably nobody will understand. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like studying here in Denmark, hope you will find your own path! :)

      Delete
  2. You just put my feelings into words :) I hope you'll be able to keep on living this dream!
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're absolutely right, Cris! Do it while you're young and free! You were made for traveling the world! 😊❤️

    Stacia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stacia, will be back in Colorado soon! ❤

      Delete
  4. This is very timely. I asked my mom for a permission for a short term program in Japan which will be tuition, miscellaneous, and accomodation free but she didn't give me ago just coz it'll be my 3rd time to participate in those kind of program and she felt like it's enough for now. But that didn't stop me from aiming the goal to participate in the program. Because I need extra cash for pocket money, I worked my ass of for the past months without telling my mom that I will still be going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is all paid for I don't see why you shouldn't go. Just because you went on a short term exchange before it doesn't mean that you have to turn this opportunity down, I'm glad you worked hard enough to go anyways!

      Delete
  5. I totally feel the same. All my planning involves how to get money for traveling and when and where to travel next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good that you plan things, planning is the key. Once you know what you have to do it is going to be easier. :) Good luck on your future travels!

      Delete