Few hours before I return home and I feel..

Tuesday, June 13, 2017 Cristian 0 Comments


Hello fellows, today I decided to write Gloria's story. She's an Italian exchange student who owns an awesome vlog (you should check it out here) and I wrote this post based on what she said on her latest videodiary: "Last day in the US". She wasn't done packing, it was late at night and her host family was probably sleeping but she wanted to videotape herself to keep that as a memory.
Before I start, I'd like you to follow my Google Plus, so you won't miss my future updates! You can do so by clicking here and then on follow.
_
When I was in Italy my countdown was called "My new life" because this experience was, for me, a chance to start from zero. But now it's my last night in the US and 310 days passed by. All I can say is that I truly built the life I was dreaming until that countdown reached "0 days left for my new life".

When I was about to leave Italy my friends gave me a book and inside of it they quoted a song, "I Lived" by OneRepublic. This was their way of wishing me best of luck. The song kinda describes my whole life. It says "hope when you take that jump, you don't fear the fall, hope when the crowd screams out, they're screaming your name". I swear I lived. For one year I felt like Hannah Montana, like having two lives just like her. Nothing remains.. except me. I do have memories, photos and experiences but they are all part of who I am now. When someone asks me "Hey, how're you? What have you learnt abroad" the only thing I can reply is "look at me".


I've just a few hours left here and there are no words that can fully describe what I am feeling right now. It is almost what I felt before going on exchange, when I couldn't tell whether I was happy, anxious or what. I'm really satisfied of what my year turned out to be, because everything, even the smallest things, made me the way I am now. 
Sometimes the people who tried to tear you down return and say "By the way, I actually admire you.. I'm really proud of the person you've become" and this is when you realize you did something good, but also when someone who you've always admired a lot tells you "Congratualtions, I think you are a wonderful person, people should get to know you".

It was worth it. Life isn't always good, there are ups and downs. My year wasn't the most perfect, but it was the best one so far. It gave me a lot. I bought a flag and my american friends wrote me lovely stuff on it. It is really incredible how you can make a difference in someone's life.
Exchange is a chapter of my life that will end as soon as I will get home and that's sad, but I'm happy overall because I've people who love me waiting for me in Italy.
I'm glad I had a vlog during my experience because now I can watch my oldest videos and see how different things were and how much I grew during this short period of time. Thank you for hearing me out, this might be my last videodiary, or maybe not. Goodbye.

PS Glow arrived in Italy June 3rd, check this out to see how she surprised her friends.


- Cris, on Glow's behalf.

0 comments: