LIVING THE DREAM OF STUDYING IN NEW YORK CITY.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 Cristian 4 Comments


Today I decided to dedicate this blogpost to my friend, Emily, who's currently a full time student in New York City. I stole some of her precious time to ask her some questions about her new (not so new anymore) life in the big apple. Let's start by introducing her.

Were you an exchange student? If yes, where? 
Yes, I was an exchange student during the school year 2014/2015 in Lockport NY, near Buffalo and the Niagara Falls. I was part of my school's senior class.

What are you studying? 
I’m currently attending the Fashion Institute of Technology in Chelsea, Manhattan. I’m majoring in Fashion Business Management, going into International Trade and Marketing for my Bachelor’s.

Why did you choose to study in New York City? 
NYC has always been my dream. It gives me unlimited opportunities of growth in the fashion industry. During my first day of college I was able to sign up to volunteer for New York Fashion Week. This led to a series of other great opportunities, which confirmed that I am exactly where I want to be, doing what I love. And NYC is THE city, who wouldn’t want to study/live there?!

  
Do you have roommates? If yes, how many? 
Yes, I do. I dorm with 3 girls who also attend FIT. Two of them are majoring in Fashion Business as well, and the other one is majoring in Advertising and Marketing Communications. I love them, we are really close and I couldn’t go through college without them.

What do you see from your dorm room? 
Last year I lived on the 13th floor, and I had a pretty cool view – I could see the Empire State Building from my bed! This year I live on the 5th floor, the view is not as great as last year, but I can see the New Yorker hotel.


What do you like the best of living there? 
I love the fact that there is always something going on. You are never bored, you just can’t be bored in NYC! I come from a very small town in Northern Italy, and I can say that NYC was quite of an adjustment, but I love it.

Is there something that you don't like instead? 
Sometimes I feel alone, it’s hard to make friends in the city. My school is very competitive as well, everyone is so focused on their success and everyone is busy all the time.

What do you do there during your spare time? 
I don’t have a lot of free time. Last semester I had a job, a part time internship, and 6 classes. My free time is very limited, but when I have some I enjoy walking around Chelsea, going shopping in Soho, and exploring new places, new restaurants and cafés in the city.

Do you walk through Central Park with a cup of Starbucks in your hand like an average white girl? 
Haha I get asked that a lot. Actually, I have never walked in Central Park holding a cup of Starbucks coffee. I walk through Central Park though, it’s one of my favorite things to do when I want to get away from the restlessness of the city.


Do you feel safe in NYC? 
There is a lot going on all the time, but I have learned to feel safe, and to be aware of my surroundings. It’s something that you learn over time.

If you could go back would you change location? Why? 
I would like to travel to the West Coast, because I have never been there, but as of right now I would not change location. I know that things could change in my future, but for now NYC is the perfect match for me.

Do you miss Italy? If yes what, in particular? 
Of course. I miss home, my family and friends, and REAL Italian food (especially my grandma’s food). I have tried some “Italian” food in NYC but it’s not the same, and it’s overpriced. Ugh.

Do you consider yourself a New Yorker after living there for more than a year? 
It has been a year and a half now, and for some aspects do I consider myself a New Yorker, but my heart will always be Italian, not matter where I will be settling even in the future.

How many celebrities did you see or even meet? Who? 
Shawn Mendes, Kendrick Lamar, Calvin Klein, Ansel Elgort, Brooklyn Beckham, Chris Martin, Jack Gilinsky, Madison Beer, Leandra Medine, Rihanna, Kylie Jenner, Ashley Graham, Metallica, Demi Lovato, Priyanka Chopra, Adam Levine, Cat Stevens, Florida, Nicole Miller, Alicia Keys, Eddie Vedder, Olivia Palermo. That’s pretty much it.

I'd like to thank my friend for sharing with me what her life in NY is all about because it is also my dream to settle there, if not permanently, for a few months. To discover what the city is truly about and to feel a resident rather than a tourist. I hope that through her words you could dream as well.

READ ALSO: FROM EXCHANGE STUDENT TO FLIGHT ATTENDANT.

- Cris   

4 comments:

  1. What a dream! <3 I would love to live "in the greatest city in the world" <3
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At the moment I'm living my exchange year in Arkansas,but I've been to New York twice during these 7 months and I'm sure there is were I wanna live. I'm looking for a chip college to come back after my graduation and I'd like to ask some advice to Emily. Could you give me her contact please?
    P.S I love the page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that "Cheap" and "New York" get along... but yes you can, contact me privately. :)

      Delete