Distance is my enemy

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 Cristian 0 Comments

If I could go back in time and meet the person I was in 2013 I'd say to him Thank You.
Most of the students who leave their homes do so because they have a friend who previously did the same and told them about the experience or because their parents introduced them the idea. I found out about the programme in a different and interesting way. I was chatting with a friend and I was telling her how cool it would be to go to America and attend school there, like in the movies. So I just felt like googling it. From that moment it was like a whole new world opened up to me.

What I'm trying to say is that we gotta take the right choices because it is not just about the present, but it is also about the upcoming future. Going on exchange made me the person I am today. I probably wouldn't even be in Denmark right now if I didn't use google that night.
A few nights ago I received a random call. It was my American dad. "Hello, dad". He said he just wanted to remind me that his wife and he will always support me no matter what path I will take in life. I felt so lucky and glad I couldn't even talk. I wish every single exchange student could feel home in their host country as much as I did. If I could afford the plane ticket I'd fly back every single weekend, even if it takes 20 hours to get there.


It is so awesome to travel everywhere, to settle in different countries every now and then, to love new people etc. and this is why I'd say Thank you little Cris. But there will always be my enemy distance to ruin everything. Because no matter how hard you try to keep in touch with the people you love, you will slowly stop contacting them. It doesn't mean you love them less than you did before, but it just happens, and it sucks. People will also let you down and you will have no one to rely on. Everyone you love will be far away. You'll have to deal with shit all alone, it sucks, doesn't it?

Chris Martin sings "Oh take me back to the start" and sometimes I wish I could do that. Being 16 years old again, flying over the ocean towards the unknown land of the States.

- Cris


0 comments: