WHICH SPORT TO JOIN AT YOUR HOST HIGH SCHOOL.

Friday, August 25, 2017 Cristian 0 Comments


I am pretty sure that one of the things people suggested you do while on exchange is to join an after-class club, or even better, a sport, because that helps you making friends (and why not, you keep yourself in good shape). But if you are like me, you are not a sport lover, you never were or simply you never practiced anything competitively, so what to do? I will give you some advice.

Do Something You Are Good At.
I mean there must be something that you are willing to do more than other things, right? I do not like soccer, I tried to play in the past but I did not like it, so I knew that I didn't want to play it abroad either, I'd rather run so I was thinking about joining cross country. Think about what you are willing to do more, just make a list, starting with the "ok" sports to the "I would never do that" sports.

Do Something You Are Comfortable Doing.
If they ask you to play a sport you are not interested in, refuse. You are not obliged to do it. If you want to do it but you feel like you are not good enough, it is okay! No one is good at the first shot, it takes practice to become good in something, so I suggest you ask your coach if you can practice with the team but maybe skip the first couple of games so that you can watch your teammates play and get an idea of what competitions are like. Once you feel confident, you can ask your coach to let you play competitions.


Try Something New.
I ended up playing tennis, and not cross country, because prior to my arrival in the United States my American mom told me that her son plays tennis and he and the rest of the team wanted me to play with them. The main reason they wanted me was that they needed players, but I thought that behind it there would be at least some excitement in having a foreigner on the team, so I accepted. Tennis was a new thing for me. Before going to the USA I played it once or twice with my siblings, but for fun. I never really knew the rules, I always focused on only hitting the ball. So I was excited to try something different, this is something I constantly did on exchange: saying yes to almost everything.

Do Something That Gives You The Opportunity To Meet People.
If the team has barely ten members and you are new at the sport, I suggest you don't join. The team is most likely seeking for someone who's already good at playing and if you join you will feel the pressure of competitions, and maybe won't make friends that last the whole year, but simply some people you have to deal with until the season is over. 
If you are already a professional player, the small team isn't a problem for you because you will contribute to the victory of the team and will most likely feel part of the group in no time. But if you want to try football or cross country, for instance, for the first time there is more chance that your team is full so you don't have to play if you don't feel comfortable but simply practice and getting to know everyone on the team. If you want to give it a shot in competitions as well (also because meets are cool, you travel around the State, or even better out the State if you go regionals) you can ask your friends if they can spend some time practicing with you, even on weekends, so you will get to hang out but also to get better at the sport. You will most likely get some friends who will last longer than a small and hostile team.

I hope these simple suggestions will make your sports seasons more enjoyable. If you have any problem just talk to the coach, and if you want to quit and start something else, just ask! I cannot promise that it is the same for every school, but sometimes they agreed to let me do some things just because I was an exchange student, so you will never know if you don't try!

- Cris

0 comments: