Should I Live with a Host Family or Should I Live on My Own?

Monday, February 12, 2018 Cristian 0 Comments


Everyone thinks that living on our own is the best thing ever, and in some ways it is, but for other reasons, it can drive you insane. I've been an exchange student both in high school and university, so I experienced living with a host family but also living on my own. Both experiences are useful and definitely make you grow as a person, but there are surely some differences between the two.

With A Host Family.
Living with people who are willing to open their home to foreign exchange students is very cool because while you will try to learn your host language, make new friends and study in a different language, you will have a group of people that will support you just like your family back home would - or at least this is how it should be. By being hosted by locals, you will get to learn the customs and traditions, you will be introduced to other members of the family and friends, which will be a great opportunity for you to expand your network.


By Yourself.
When I went on Erasmus, I had my private room in halls. My flat was composed of one kitchen, two bathrooms and six bedrooms. I loved it because I had my own space and whenever I felt like hanging out with someone I could just go to the kitchen. Living on my own was good because I was the one in charge  of scheduling my appointments, making my own food, and so forth. At my home University, I shared a studio apartment with another guy, but I highly preferred to have my own room in a shared flat. Depending on how you see it, living in halls was a pro but also a con. Since I was an international student, I was put in the International Hall, which made it harder to be friends with locals. Even so, it has been cool to meet all kinds of people from all over the world. Eventually, I got to meet Brits when I started working as a sales assistant, so everything worked out for the best.

I am now curious to hear different stories. Do you prefere to live with a host family, even in college, or to live on your own? and why so?

- Cris

0 comments: