THIS IS WHY YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE KIND..

Sunday, August 07, 2016 Cristian 0 Comments

How many times a day people say to be nice to one another? A lot, but how many of those are actually nice? A few, because most of the people nowadays put their wellbeing first, even if that means to be incorrect to others. Today I want to tell you that it's not always about receiving but it is about giving as well, and to do so I am going to share a couple of experiences of mine.
_

Exchange Students reunion in Denmark.

If you've been reading my blog long enough, you'd know that I will be soon moving to Denmark for University, but before making this life changing decision, last winter I flew into Copenhagen for a few days and visit. There I was going to be reunited with some exchangers. When I was planning my trip, my american family told me that the exchange student they hosted some years before me was from Denmark and that I could text him if I needed help of any form. So I decided to do so and ask him if he knew cheap hostels in the city. My friends and I ended up being at his place for four days as he told me he was out of town and I was welcome there. But the story doesn't end here. As I landed I did not even have to catch a train because his friend was waiting for me there, he picked me up and drove me to the flat. It was really nice of them to do so. Everyone in Denmark was really nice to me, this is also why I can't wait to make my way there.


A text message changes your day.

As I am a member of a lot of exchange student groups on facebook I always see that many fellows need help or have questions about certain countries. Once, a guy from Mexico was searching for someone from Italy, so I offered my help as I thought he was going to ask me how to say something in Italian or needed suggestions about hostels/places to visit. He was actually looking for a family who was willing to host him a couple of months in the summer. He's partially Italian and he wanted to get to know the language and the culture. I thought I was going to be useless as I couldn't host him, but I knew that trip was really important to him. As my trip to Denmark was made possible by kind people who offered their help, I was going to do the same thing: trying to be as useful as I could. I asked anyone I could think of if they were willing to host a college student. I eventually told my friend to find a family through workaway. He ended up living in three different cities in my beautiful country, so far. I'm glad all of this worked out great for him, because he's a great person to hang out with. As I hosted him in Milan, he returned the favour and hosted me in Liguria and we had a really good time.
_
I shared this because it's just great how a message can change things these days, social media can be awesome if used for good. Facebook became the place where people need likes to be cool but I'm actually glad there's still someone who uses it to connect (or reconnect) with people. When I tried to find a family for that guy I didn't expect to have anything back, I just felt great when he told me he found a place to stay. I try to treat others how I want to be treated, and this is my advice for today.

- Cris

0 comments: