THE BEST COUNTRY FOR AN EXCHANGE IS..

Friday, February 24, 2017 Cristian 0 Comments


A lot of students seek advice on the web when it comes to choosing their host country, by asking which place is the "best" and I've to admit: that is silly. Everyone who will try to answer this question will come up with beautiful countries and real facts, but they won't help your decision because no one can really define what "best" means. It varies from person to person. Your decision can be based on many things, starting off with what you value the most. If you go on exchange you have to ask yourself why you are doing it. The most common answer to that is "I'd like to go there because I wanna learn the language".

Think about the USA. Why do people choose to go there? Because of the language, of the beautiful landscapes. Because of the American dream and future opportunities. But is it really the best country in the world? I can name a few problems. Without going too far, lack of transportation is one of the struggles for exchange students. If you are from the countryside than you're probably used to it, but it was difficult for me to accept that I either had to stay home or annoy someone for a ride.


If you are looking for a place where people are social, probably Denmark isn't your place. People are real nice but it takes a while before they open up to you. If you are a party person, South America probably suits you more than Asia does. If history, culture and food are important to you, you should probably go to Italy on exchange instead of the USA. If you love going to clubs or pubs you might consider not going where the temperature gets really low, because there the way of partying is different (e.g. house-parties).

It all depends on what you are interested in, and what you are willing to take as a challenge. My host town is totally different from my home town but I wouldn't chance a thing of my experience at this point. It was what it was and it gave me tons of opportunities for which I am grateful for today.

Try to focus on what is really important for you and then target some countries. List them and then do some research to find out which one holds the highest number of pros. No one but you can take this life changing decision, do it wisely.

- Cris

0 comments: