THE PERFECT TV SERIES FOR EXCHANGE STUDENTS TO WATCH.

Saturday, November 24, 2018 Cristian 0 Comments


Having to leave everything that is familiar to you can be terrifying, especially when you are doing so to go live at a stranger's house. I get it, we've all been through it. I had the privilege to meet my host family prior to my exchange as they were traveling to Europe for the summer, so that was my luck. I know that not a lot of students can say the same, but it is always worth it to go abroad with an open mind and positive thoughts anyway. Our happy thinking sometimes isn't enough and we do end up feeling like we don't belong, homesick or lonely. Fear no more, I have the perfect TV series to keep you company.


The Fosters.
When I didn't feel particularly up to do much during my exchange, I'd watch a lot of tv series. That isn't because I wasn't enjoying my experience, but that's just who I am. I am attracted to the film industry and tv in general. One of the shows that particularly kept me company while I was gone on my exchange was The Fosters. As the title may spoil, the series talk about foster care, and beyond. The main characters fight unhealthy social systems, spreading the message that everyone is loved and welcome to be whoever they are. Two lesbians open their doors to many foster kids who over the years, as the story evolves, get officially adopted by these two incredible women. 

The story covers heavy topics, like cancer, lgbtq+ stories, gun violence, stalkers, broken hearts, mental health, and insecurities of all sorts. Unfortunately, we can relate, to some extent, to a lot of these things, but the bottom line is that we can go through everything if we stick together and help each other out. This incredible family kept me company over the years. I've watched the show when I was in the United States of America as an exchange student, but also when I was home in Italy, studying in Denmark or in the United Kingdom. I've felt lonely sometimes, I didn't have much money to go out and do things, so I'd stay home and binge-watch. Some people can't do that, but I discovered that I can and I'm not afraid to say that this series gifted me many smiles when I needed them.

How does this show relates to people being on an exchange you say? Well, I think about my host parents. They opened up their home to me and many more exchange students over the years. Doing that enables many things. When they welcomed me to their house, shared their belonging and food with me, we established a relationship that is now unbreakable. It is obviously very different from fostering someone who has been through the system, but these experiences have something in common: trust. It's hard to believe that people are willing to share what they have (e.g. a home) with someone they don't already trust - but that is why we have time. We spend time with each other and we learn things about one another. 

I really learned a lot watching The Fosters and I hope that I somehow influenced you because it's worth a watch. It's currently not on Netflix. Its network is the former ABC Family, now Freeform, but I'm sure that if you are like me you will find a way to watch it even if you are not from the USA and don't have access to Freeform. 

What is your favorite tv series? and why? Comment below!

- Cris


0 comments: