TRAVEL DOES NOT EXIST WITHOUT HOME.

Monday, November 19, 2018 Cristian 0 Comments


For the past few years, I've been packing, unpacking, moving out, moving back in, taking off, landing, getting a new job, enrolling in new universities, shaking new hands, engaging with strangers, going to socials, events, and such things. Great! In fact, this is why I've done it and I keep doing it. 

But... would travel exist without home?


No. Our birthplace is our starting point. That is the one thing that we can't change about ourselves. Think about it. We can change homes, countries, even our own name, but not the place where we are born. That is something that we will always carry with us. When we travel, we embrace new cultures and welcome new habits into our lives, but we always tend to share our own with foreigners. We may not even be the patriotic kinds but as soon as people open their mouths to say something bad about our country, we suddenly step in and defend it as if they were talking poorly about us. Isn't it true? We take it personally. We think we are the only ones allowed to talk in a certain way about our birthplace.

As I moved from one place to the other, I looked for peace. I looked for my happy place. And from time to time, I even thought I finally found it. The truth is that most times that feeling would be temporary and my mind would still take me back to Milan. I'd miss doing the same boring things I've done since I was a kid. Who would have actually thought? Feelings, though, always change.

 I want to decide for myself whether my assigned place is actually the right one for me or not, and in order to do so, I travel. I explore. I feel things. 

We do have the power to change things. Play the game. You may have been born and raised somewhere, but where do you want to grow up? Where do you want to mature? Where do you want to say your last words? I strongly believe that we are the authors of our own destiny, we just need to know how to write.

- Cris

0 comments: