TRAVELLING BACK TO MY HOST CITY AFTER TWO YEARS.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 Cristian 2 Comments


I still can't believe that tomorrow is the day I dreamt of for two years. When I flew back to Italy I was so excited to see family and friends that I didn't realize what I was gonna say goodbye to.. and for how long. One thing is certain when you go on an exchange: one day you will return home. But when will you go back to your host country? And if you do, will it be the same? Will it be weird? Will I feel an outsider?

I don't know. Not yet. All I know is that I am ready to go back. I should turn off my laptop and go to sleep because in less than 8 hours I have to wake up, take a shower and go. But I can't, I'm too excited. I haven't slept in days, partly because I came back from a trip two days ago and today I woke up at 5.30am to go to work, but also because I keep thinking that in 24 hours or so I will be in Colorado.


I tried to come up with a plan to try to get the most out of my short stay in the USA. I don't know if I succeeded but I do know that I want to do a lot of things and don't waste even a second (and eat a lot of food because why not, everything is allowed on vacation).

I packed. Yes, I'm ready. Even though I couldn't care less about clothes. All I really want is on the other side of the ocean. I look forward to hugging my American family, drive through the big Coloradan roads, watch a movie altogether, and all the fun stuff we did when I was there. I want to feel like I never left. That's all that counts. I did charge my cameras though because I might release a short movie when I come back.

UPDATE: At the airport, I met a Danish girl who was going to LA to reunite with her boyfriend, who lives there. We had a nice talk, I told her I was going to Denver because I lived in Colorado in the past, and she told me that she commutes to LA every once in a while because she wants to see her boyfriend... the power of love.

Now it's your turn. Have you been back since your exchange year? If yes how long after? how was it? And for those of you who didn't have the opportunity yet, I'm sure you will get one in the near future. What are you looking forward to doing when you go back? Is there something or someone that you specifically miss? Leave a comment.

CONTINUE READING: BACK TO THE USA.
- Cris

2 comments:

  1. I came back to Colorado a year and two months after I had left and I didn't feel a difference. It felt as if I had never left and we continued right where we had stopped. That was three years ago, and this summer I will return again, this time together with my boyfriend because we will take a road trip afterwards. I am looking forward to them meeting :) and of course, I am so looking forward to finally see my host family and the Colorado mountains again! I've seen them several times since then because they have family here in Germany, but never all of them together and I also miss my host home, so it's not the same!
    Go and enjoy yourself! You never know when you'll have the next chance to do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for my late responce, I'm usually prompt at replying to comments... I was probably busy having fun in the USA. I hope your trip with your boyfriend was a success and that you enjoyed your time with your host family.
      Cris

      Delete