HOW TO CONVINCE PARENTS TO LET YOU GO ON EXCHANGE.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 Cristian 0 Comments


In my case, to get a yes wasn't the easiest thing. I had to ask my parents several times, I tried to prove them that it was good for me to leave. They obviously knew that it could have been great for me to study abroad but as a parent, it was hard for them to let me go away for one year. Some parents don't see why it is good to experience a year abroad, others don't have enough money and others don't trust the strangers their sons will have to deal with. 

Step 1
Ask them what they think about the experience;
Step 2
If they are against it, ask them to explain to you why they think so;
Step 3
If you have some friends who left ask them how they are doing, which were the problems they had to go through, how they handled them, how they convinced their parents to let them go;
Step 4 
Step 2 was about asking your parents explanation on why they are against it, now you need to write a list of why you see yourself being an exchange student and what values this whole experience would give you. Basically, you need to show them that you care, and why.


It is easier for the students themselves to decide, but for the parents, this whole process is harder. We need to prove them that we can do it and that they can trust us. They trusted me as soon as I proved them they could, even if they always did. I did everything I had to do all by myself. I found Rotary, I decided it was the right program for me. I filled out all the paperwork by myself, and it was in English by the way. They couldn't say no. I had other problems at the beginning but I proved my parents they weren't an obstacle.

People grow a lot when they spend time by themselves. I found out and learned stuff I didn't know before, I learned that something that for me is normal can be less normal somewhere else. I had to follow my budget. For me, it was like living by myself and I loved it. I did my laundry, I kept my closet organized and stuff. I also did it at home, but my mom would always double check whether it was good or not, she would go through my stuff and put it else where, so when I had to find something it was like playing treasure hunt.

So the list you have to show your parents should be something like this:

PROS
To learn a new language;
To socialize with new people/networking;
To become familiar with a new culture;
To become independent and more open minded;
To learn how to spend time by yourself.
etc.
    If you behaved differently please drop a comment and share with us your technique, it might be helpful for whoever will read this post.

    - Cris

    0 comments: