WHY SHOULD I BE AN EXCHANGE STUDENT?

Saturday, August 08, 2015 Cristian 4 Comments


I know that some people at the beginning decided to study abroad to learn a new language, but when you come back home you realize how much more you learned and the language becomes just one of the many things. This is my case, I came back speaking English and that's the first thing people tell me, like "your English is very good" and no one focuses on how independent I became abroad and stuff like that.


REASONS WHY 
BEING AN EXCHANGE STUDENT IS AWESOME:

You meet people from all over the world and discover new interests.

For example, I always wanted to go to the US so badly that I didn't realize how wonderful some other places can be. I met people from South America, Asia, Europe etc. and now I'm really having a hard time deciding where I should go for my next holiday!

You connect with people you have never known before. 

By the time you will be close to fly back home you will realize how many people you met and how many people love you and will miss you. It will be nice to think that you have family and friends even abroad. It will be hard to be far apart but friendship is stronger than distance.

You will have more than one home. 

Leaving for a year is a huge step in life. In less than 12 months anything can happen and you have to settle in by yourself in a new environment, but trust me when I tell you that your host country will become your home by the end of the year. For me, it was harder to leave than to arrive.

You will be on your own.

If you are anything like me, you will enjoy your own space. Yes, I was hardly in my room because I always tried to hang out with my host family and friends, but it was nice to know that at the end of the day I could just close the door behind my back and do my own things.

You will learn a new language. 

Some people choose the country they want to go to based on its official language, but in my opinion, the language should not be the only thing to think about. Choose a place because you are interested in it, even if learning its language will be challenging. Go to Italy. Italian might not be an important language but hey, you will be cool because you will be able to speak it! And don't worry about your English, you can improve that as well by simply using it when it becomes more convenient.

You will realize who your real friends are.

Before you depart for your long term commitment, everyone seems so sad and claims that you will be missed. The truth is that just a few of those will be able to prove it to you and will stick by your side even with an ocean in between. The first ones cheering for you at home are your family members.

Traveling is the best way of learning.

Professors might tell you to read page 57 of your book to learn about Italy. They might explain you the culture and teach you the language, but the best way of learning all of this is to be there and see things with your own eyes. You won't understand what Italy is really about unless you move there and live as Italians do.


- Cris

4 comments:

  1. Thats a good idea but sometimes i feel like i'm afraid to make mistake in my english when i speak with strangers huhu :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I'm now a current rotary exchange student from Taiwan. And I'm now at South Carolina, USA. This opportunity that I got is a dream come true. To be able to truly experience high school, American sports, country style of life!!!! It is harder to leave this place than leaving my country. This is great article you wrote about exchange. Before exchange I thought I understand what other exchange students feeling, thoughts, experience... but till I start mine, I realize it is totally something different. I'm so so happy that I get to do this in my high school year. #exchangeisasecondlife being in a totally different environment, with different people...to get to be a whole new person. And what you said about having one owns space is great. I never know that I will care about having my owns timw, space to do stuff till I start my exchange.
    #alifeofyear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a second life, the difference is that we need to live it up because it is really short! 😄

      Delete